Vaping Liquids Kill a Teenage Girl

0
52

Teenager Rosey Christoffersen loved football from an early age, with her enthusiasm matched by a talent for scoring goals. She attended regular training sessions and played weekly fixtures with a local club, but became alarmed one season over her rapidly declining fitness.

“I’m gassed,” she would tell her coach at Wallasey Wanderers in Wirral as she struggled with exhaustion, asking to be pulled off at half-time. She was also complaining to her family of pains in her chest.

She had previously been an occasional smoker but had started using flavoured vapes and soon found it a compulsive habit. She was assured by her local GP surgery that the discomfort in her chest was likely to be a pulled muscle.

“She would go into the local shop and buy these vaping liquids but you would never see the same bottle twice,” said Rachel Howe, 45, her mother. “There would be coconut, cherry, bubblegum vapes. It was constantly in her mouth.”

On Valentine’s Day in 2015, she collapsed in the street. Howe said: “A member of the public called me on her phone and said: ‘We’re with your daughter and she’s on the floor. Someone’s rung an ambulance.’

Both of Christoffersen’s lungs had spontaneously collapsed, a condition known as bilateral pneumothorax. By the time she arrived at the nearby Arrowe Park hospital in Birkenhead, she was brain dead.

“I’m always glad I was spared that moment when she fell,” said Howe, who lives in Wirral. “I don’t know how I would have coped with that. When I saw her in hospital, it was like she was sleeping comfortably, but I just knew she wasn’t there.”

Leave a reply